TechSpot

Usb 2.0 causes cpu usage 100%

By adamwhiles
Mar 24, 2008
  1. When I enable usb 2.0 in the bios and boot into windows, my cpu usage goes to 100% and stays there.

I have a DFI Infinity RS482 MB and Windows XP Pro

Whats the problem here?

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

use <ctl><alt><del> to get task manager, click twice on CPU column

What process is using the most CPU?

3. adamwhiles

adamwhiles TS Rookie Topic Starter

SYSTEM is using 98-99%, btw this is a fresh install of xp

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

do you have any USB devices attached? what?

Someone will correct me, but I don't think you need BIOS+USB unless you're attempting to boot from a USB device.

Can you use a usb thumb drive or camera attachment?

5. adamwhiles

adamwhiles TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have a thumb drive, printer and camera that work when usb 2.0 is disabled in bios but when you enable they no longer work

6. joytime360

joytime360 Banned Posts: 57

That's very strange problem.

7. hoops_humphrey

hoops_humphrey TS Rookie

Same Problem

Anyone ever get anywhere on this problem? I have the exact same thing happening only I am running Vista Ultimate and have a MSI K9N SLI Platinum motherboard. I found my computer sluggish and then noticed the system process using 100% of my cpu. Upon further investigation using xperf, I traced the problem to about 5 kernel worker threads using about 20% of my cpu resources each. Didn't really know where to go from there so I tried disabling some things in the bios. Disabled just the usb 2.0 controller and viola! no more insane cpu usage. I am thinking maybe one of the usb driver .sys files may be corrupted but am no sure. I would appreciate any help.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.