USB connections lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinlw

Hi,My sons computer has for some reason lost the connection to the mouse and network adaptor both USB,he has been messing about trying to get an eye toy to work unplugging cables etc,anyway i have tried restarting and plugging them in still no joy. The computer has Vista premium on it.Any ideas how i can regain connections.

Boot with both the devices disconnected.
Power off. Reconnect one device at a time and follow the new hardware found wizard if present - if not it should have reinstalled itself automatically.
Is it possible your son has disabled the devices in the device manager?

Hi,I did what you suggested but Windows didnt still find anything,i have looked in Devices and the mouse isnt there,anyway i know its a bit drastic i decided to format the drive and put windows xp back on,also sp2,but its still wont pick up the mouse,or the USB belkin adaptor,could it be the motherboard not functioning correctly.

That certainly sounds like it could be the culprit. You can always try a PCI USB card. Those are fairly inexpensive. If that works, then you have a USB problem on your mobo, if not then it is the devices themselves.

You can also try plugging them into another computer that you know the USB works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back