USB Device Not Recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SeiTeki

Yesterday I was surfing on the internett when all of a sudden my mouse and keyboard malfunctioned. A small error message appeard from my system tray saying "USB Device Not Recognized". I don't know what could have caused this, but as I unplugged and plugged the mouse and keyboard back in they both worked again. When I use the computer for several minutes the same thing happenes again. Sometimes as I see the light go out from underneath my mouse I pick it up and it magically starts to work again, but there are still times when it doesn't start to work again just by waiting, and that's when I have to reinsert my USB devices to make them work again.

Anybody who might know what's causing this?

do you have all the correct ddrivers installed for your devices an d are they certified compatible for your version of windows?

If you are plugging them into a hub it is possible they are not getting enough power to them. If you are using them on a hub plug them directly into your motherboard if possible and see if the problem still occurs.

I am certain I have the right drivers installed and they are compitable for my version of windows. Both devices are also plugged into my mobo. I've had this computer for over a year now, and this has never happened before. I think it must be something wrong with the mobo since both the keyboard and the mouse stops working at the same time.

Btw, the USB ports work fine at startup and in BIOS...

One thing I've found with this O/S (XP) is their Power Management system can sometimes cause issues. Now, if memory serves me correctly in the path, follow these instructions:

Right-click on My Computer/Properties/Hardware Tab/Device Manager. Now look for the Universal Serial Bus controllers tree....then expand it. You should see a number of USB Root Hub insertions. Right-click one of them/properties/Power Management. Take the check out of the box labeled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Hopefully this will alleviate some of your issue. I know we had problems with a bunch of new Dells here (everything was USB) and it seems to have cleared the issue.

Good luck.

I see how that should work, but sadly it didn't solve my problem :(

it could very well be the USB host controller is going bad on your mobo. I have rarely seen outright failure of this it usually begins with intermitent USb problems or problems with software that requires the USB host controller to function properly.

Your explanation seems highly likely since both my mouse and my keyboard works perfectly now that I have plugged them into my PS/2 ports.
Is there a way I might be able to fix this problem, or is buying a new mobo the only way out? I've had a problem with my CPU overheating for quite some time now, could this have triggered my USB problem in any way?

IF it is the USB host controller going bad then your going to need a new mobo it cant be repaired. some of the symptoms of a USB host controller going bad are unexplained glitches in the OS ie; program freeze ups, multiple openings of one program when you only click it once, and often the USB drivers will disappear and be difficult to reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back