USB drive not detected on one PC, but is detected on other PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
My Kingston Data
Traveller 8 GB drive (1 yr old) is not getting detected on my new PC (2 weeks old). It was working perfectly on my old pc, and is working fine on my office PC, frnd's PC, Philips DVD player, Sony HiFi audio system.

My mobo is Biostar TA785GE 128M, OS is win xP Pro 32 bit. The drive is detected on all USB ports of mobo, but as soon as I start any data transfer, it crashes and i get error that data cannnot be transfered.

The Disk Management (My Computer - Manage) shows the drive as healthy, but after I start any file transfer, in a few seconds, it reads "Unreadable". Sometimes, the drive letter also goes missing. In brief, the drive is displayed in My Computer till any file transfer is initiated. As soon as any file trnsfr starts, I get error that file transfer is not complete and the drive goes missing.

My frnd's UsB drive (2 GB), and my old 256 mb drive, both work and files are transferred which removes the doubt that there is some prob in USB ports. As the 8gb pen drive works on other PCs and devices, so i guess the drive is okay. I ran HDtune for it, and it has no bad sectors. That leaves my OS as the culprit (I assume). Looks like there is some problem in the way XP maps the USB drive.

I've tried many things, and here is my observation:

* Changed drive letter to other letters, but to no avail. Changed drive letter to a working USB drive letter, but failure again.
* Formatted many times, but data transfer gives error
* My frnd's pen drive shows as file system as FAT, but mine shows FAT32. Wt's the diference?
* After formatting, the volume label is showing as "NEW VOLUME". Earlier it used to be "Kingston".
* Updated chipset and USB drives from biostar site, but error persists
* chkdisk /r gives "no problems are found", but also shows "cannot write boot sector" error.

Can anyone help me?

Try the troubleshooting steps you'll see here: [post=720762]Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive[/post]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back