Usb Drive Problem, Not Accepting Any External Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI friends,

I am Pinakin Patel (originally from India, now in USA) and have recently joined this excellent website.

I have a question regarding my Toshiba Satellite Windows XP pentium 4 notebook.
It have 3 USB ports and I have problem connecting any external devices in any of these ports. Even simple things like mouse with USB attachment, Flash drives etc. are not operating through any of these USB ports. I tried looking in the device manager and its displaying that the device is working properly.

I think the ports are working but the problem may be due to USB drivers. I reinstall all the things on my notebook using the DVD provided by Toshiba but the problem of USB is still there.

I will really appreciate if any of you guys can guide me in fixing the USB problem.

Have a wonderful day and thanks in advance.
Your new friend,
Pinakin Patel :knock:

If ther problem is usb drivers does your Copy of XP have at least SP1 one it? you need at least Sp1 in order to have USB 2.0 driver support..

Hi ISS,

THANKS FOR THE REPLY BUT I DID NOT GET YOU IN TERMS OF SP1.
CAN U PLEASE EXPLAIN ME WHAT IS SP1 AND HOW TO USE IT.

HAVE A GOOD ONE
PINAKIN

Ok the original XP does not have support for USB 2.0. that was added to XP in Service Pack 1. the current service pack for XP is SP2 (service pack 2) inorder to use USB2.0 you must either download the USb2.0 drivers from microsoft and install them or install Service pack 1 or 2.( also downloadable from microsoft.)

to see if Service pack 1 or 2 is installed on yourr machine right click my computer and choose properties, under system in the general tab it should list what service pack is installed ( if any)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back