USB Encryption/Password Protection

By poertner_1274
Sep 25, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am looking for a decent encryption program or a way to password protect a USB thumbdrive. I've never dealt with encryption before, so any guides or examples would be helpful.
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

There are quite a number of excellent USB flash drives that are designed for this, but encryption software for generic USB flash drives is trouble in the few systems I have seen... and there are too many ways to get around the encryption. Your unknown invader might not be able to get to your files... or if good, he might. But he can easily get rid of what is on the drive and use it as his own.
  3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Topic Starter Posts: 4,745

I'm not worried about it being formatted and used. I make weekly backups of it. I just don't want the information falling into the wrong hands.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,351   +301

there are techniques, BUT if you encrypt from system(A) and then move it to system(B), how will
    you decrypt the data? you must have the same program or at least the same encryption standard
    at the new location.

one thought is two primary folders; /ENC and /DATA. Inside ENC is the encryption program installer while /DATA contains data that gets encrypted.

you then rely upon the strength of the password mechanics for the encryption standard choosen.

btw: google for PGP tools
  5. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Topic Starter Posts: 4,745

joebeard - That is exactly what I was thinking about. Partitioning the Thumbdrive to allow the program to be installed on a small partition,and keep the data on the remainder.

I'll have a look for PGP

THANKS!
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,485   +292

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,351   +301

oops! you store the INSTALLER in the /ENC partition and then use it
    over & over to perform the install wherever you go :)

this means you need a shareware program w/o a license!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.