USB external hard drive does not work suddenly

Status
Not open for further replies.
My USB external hard drive does not work suddenly. It was disconnected accidently without waiting safely removal sign last time when I used it. I tried with new cable, re-boot laptop etc., but so far no luck. I put many files job related in it and desperately need to fix this. Please help me!!! BTW, another external hard drive works with the same laptop. so...

Does the external USB drive has a light that comes on when the unit is plugged into a usb port? also does it require an external power source when plugged into the laptop?

iss said:
Does the external USB drive has a light that comes on when the unit is plugged into a usb port? also does it require an external power source when plugged into the laptop?

It requires an external power source. This external drive has power on/off switch and light coms on means simply power is on. oh well...

Have you tried looking on Computer Management for Disk Management?

Right click on My Computer and choose Manage...

Then look for Disk Management on the left hand side. See if it shows up in there. I had problems with how my external drive was setup. Found it in there, but not in Windows.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

mary-mary, if no one else gives u an answer that works another usb device that works ( I mean a container for the drive, power and all) for the hard drive will work.

Beginning to sound familiar

I posted similar reply to another user: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic41894.html. Last 3 messages in this thread apply. I experience similar problem with multifunction printer. Mysteriously the usb device disappears from device manager. I am able to restore this device by unplugging it; restart Windows XP; wait for all start up programs to complete; re-plug the usb multifunction printer. Functionality restored. The cited thread suggests a longer duration with power off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back