USB Flash Drive Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
If somebody can figure out a soulution to this problem instead of me having to throw this away you are amazing.

I was busy formatting my Centon DS Sport 8gb drive to NTFS from Fat32 to use in ReadyBoost on Windows 7...Blah Blah doesn't matter, however it froze up so I said whatever and pulled it out...

Now here's the problem when I attempt to re format it into anything on full or fast type, windows replies with "Windows was unable to complete the format."

img40.imageshack.us/img40/3486/conundrum.png

In the format screen as you can see there is no option for any type of format (Fat32, NTFS, etc) no options, no information.

I have tried some programs with no luck, tried having XP recognize the disk and there's no luck there. So I think this solution may be either very complicated or none at all.

Please help me out here.

Hi ThiRo,

This may be of no use what-so-ever, but I have had a similar problem with trying to format a USB flash drive - and indeed need some help with a further problem. However, what I had found on mine, was that there was no partition/volume data on the drive so it couldn't be formatted as it, I suppose, didn't exist (not a techie myself, so probably talking crap)!!

Anywho, to get round this, I did the following:

Plug in the drive and make a note of the drive name. Right click My Computer and select Manager option. Then find the device on either disk manager or removable storage. Once there, see if your drive has an active partition. If not, I think you right clic and select Mark Partition as active, you should then at least be able to see some options for formatting, although, you may then have the same issue as me and have missing storage!

Hope this helps - sorry if not :)

Well in windows 7 here there is no Disk Manager but there is a Device Manager and the drive does show up and say its working properly (which is complete BS) supposedly the drivers are working correctly as I can see details, update driver..., disable, or unistall.

I don't know anything about this partitioning that I have read and looked over several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back