USB flash drive problem (unreadable)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I have a big problem with my 1GB SKYMEDI usb drive.
I can see it as drive E in my computer but I can not format it or define any partition from computer management.

It says at properties that it is 0 bytes and is a Raw file format.

What can I do?

Please help me.

Thank you

Not 100% sure but you should be able to login as Administrator in XP and Right Click and Convert in Disk Manegement.

No success

I loged in as Admin but in Computer management the drive appears as unreadable and I can not do anything with it

Thanks anyway

USB flash drive - unreadable, can't format, cannot access

I think several of us are sharing the same problem. In case it is of any use, I'll put down my observations of my own issues (which seem identical to the guy above) and perhaps someone can give us a final answer.

Symptoms in Windows XP SP2:

1) Can see drive in "My Computer"
2) Double click on drive in my computer and it says : "Please insert disc into drive D:"
3) Right click and select format and it says: "There is no disc in drive D. Insert a disc, and then try again"
4) My Computer (right click) -> Manage -> Disc Management:
"Disk 1
Removable (D:)

unreadable"
5) Device Properties shows that the device is working properly, but under "Volumes" tab it says that Status = unreadable. Partition style = Master Boot Record (MBR).

6) MS Dos (cmd) : Format d: results in: "Cannot open volume for direct access"
Same answer for all other attempts to format drive in dos (include format d: /x to force volume to dismount).

Any solutions or is it just that the memory chip in the flash drive is cactus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back