TechSpot

USB Flash Drive Problems

By radovitch
Feb 18, 2008
  1. Hi,
    A couple of months ago I bought a USB 8 Gig Flash Drive. I have been slowly filling it up with software but when I got up to 3 gigs it suddenly wouldn't take anymore. Whatever type of file I tried to add it popped up with an error message that said:
    Cannot Copy (file name) The disk is write protected. Remove the write protection or use another disk.
    When I copied everything to my HDD, reformatted the Flash Drive and then copied it all back again the problem seemed to disappear at first but after adding a few files I got the error message again. Switching USB ports makes no difference.
    Anybody have any idea what's going on?
    I'm using XP Pro on a Core 2 Quad CPU.
    Thanks

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,241   +92

If there isn't a switch on the drive which disables the write-protection I'd assume you've probably just come across a faulty drive. You may want to try searching for others that have experienced the same problem, and you could try another flash drive with a similar capacity to see if it solves your problem.

3. radovitch

radovitch TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the advice. There is no switch on this drive and I did, before posting this, spend some time googling this question but found nothing relating to this problem. The only other flash drive I have is a 4 gig and it works fine.

4. Matthew

If the other drive works fine I'd say it's safe to assume the 8GB drive is defective. Hopefully it's under warranty? :(

5. radovitch

Yes, there is a warranty. One other little thing I've just noticed. I left the flash drive in when I turned off the computer and then when I switched it on later it automatically went into CHKDSK without my having requested it , stating that one of the drives needed to be checked for consistency. And yes, it was the Flash Drive.

6. Matthew

CHKDSK usually runs during the formatting process unless you were checking the "Quick Format" option. CHKDSK is what takes up a bulk of the time when formatting a drive and "Quick Format" bypasses CHKDSK.

It won't hurt anything to let it run again if you have before, and if you weren't then it's probably a good idea to let it ;).

7. radovitch

The problem was I wasn't formatting the drive and it was going into CHKDSK to check this Flash Drive everytime I fired up this computer or any other that I left the Flash Drive in. But never mind, I took the thing back to the store and exchanged it for a Kingston Flash Drive which has almost double the read/write capabilities.
    Thanks for your help.

8. Matthew

No problem :). At least it was covered :D!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.