USB flash drive restarts computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought SanDisk 1gb cruzer flash drive a few months ago and it worked fine on my computer but i recently formated my computers hard drive and reinstalled everything. Now when I insert the flash drive into my computer it instantly restarts. The drive works fine at school so I know it isn't the drive itself. I would like to know what would be causing this. The flash drive has two partitions, a cd partition, and the main drive. When I insert it into my other computer the main part of the drive works but the cd partition says it can't read it. I don't know what it going on.

I can't explain it, but in the past, I've solved this kind of error by repartitioning the drive.

While I've never had this happen to a thumb drive, I've come across two external drives with the same issue. They would work in one computer, but not the other.

On a whim I erased all of the partitions (back up your data, of course) in a computer that can read the disk. Then recreate them as desired and copy your data back over.

I'm skeptical of this because even though it has worked for me, I don't have an explanation. You're problem may be totally different, although the symptoms seem identical.

Try it - You've got nothing to lose. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back