USB flash drive write protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
does anyone have a solution to problems with getting a write protection message when trying to save new files or delete existing ones on a 128mb flash drive. I have used this device on both XP professional at home & 2000 professional at work. I have only had this device for about 2 mths & now I can not use it as I keep getting this message everytime.

I have read some of the post that date back to November 2004 regarding same problem encountered by other people but I did not see a post showing resolution to the problem. Is this problem fixable? Please help.

The 2 ways they can be write protected are physical and software...
Some units have a tiny switch on them that can be inadvertantly moved by putting it in your pocket so look for one of those.
If not install any software that shipped with it and check it thru there.

patio. :cool:

Thank you "Patio" for the prompt response. I have toggled with the little switch from setting it to the lock position & then back to the Unlock position & I still keep getting the message that the "disk is write protected". Unfortunately, this flash drive did not come with any software so I cannot try the other option suggested.

The brand of this flash drive is "Memorex".

Are there any other suggestions that may work?

collosum

collosum said:
Hello all,
does anyone have a solution to problems with getting a write protection message when trying to save new files or delete existing ones on a 128mb flash drive. I have used this device on both XP professional at home & 2000 professional at work. I have only had this device for about 2 mths & now I can not use it as I keep getting this message everytime.

I have read some of the post that date back to November 2004 regarding same problem encountered by other people but I did not see a post showing resolution to the problem. Is this problem fixable? Please help.

I have the same problem. Please help anyone.
Thanks

Try the solutions already posted...
Otherwise provide more info...OS...type of thumb drive etc.

patio. :cool:

flash drive - Kingston

OS = MS XP Home. Flashback Kingston 512 MB. Message consistently indicates "write protected" and unable to format it.
Thanks

I have a Kingmax 512mb USB Drive that developed this problem. There is a small plastic slider on the side which moves when you push the USB attachment out from the case. This also controls the write protection. With the device attached to your USB port try sliding this - only minimally - back or forwards it is a very fine tuning and is easily turned on or off when carrying the thumb drive.

I have 2gb usb flash (MY FLASH).Iam not able to add or delete data to these,and even format. Always getting write protected message.But there is no physical switch.Please sent some hints to solve these problem.

shooshoo said:
I have 2gb usb flash (MY FLASH).Iam not able to add or delete data to these,and even format. Always getting write protected message.But there is no physical switch.Please sent some hints to solve these problem.
Please start a new thread in the future. Also this issue is addressed in the FAQs.

i have the exact same problem as him I need help badly because i need this 1gb usb drive to get music and do work etc. anyway on my computer i can't put anything on it or take anything off of it because it's "write-protected" there is no switch on it either. may i please have some advice to unlock this usb drive please, i would really appreciate it. this is a CENTRON usb drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back