USB flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I plug in a USB flash drive it asks me to install new hardware. All the thumb drives that I have used say the same thing. But, my external hard drive still works. There may be a problem with the drivers or something. Any suggestions?

if your system is asking for drivers, install the drivers. XP should detect the flash drive. If you are using 98, ME or some other OS, install the drivers.

Your external USB hard drive is a totally different animal from a flash drive. Many USB flash drives will not work on a USB 1.1 system, and many 2.0 drives no longer come with drivers for older systems.
But when your computer asks for drivers, you have to respect that.

I am using XP. As soon as I put it in it reads that there is something there. Then it asks me for drivers for the new hardware found. Awhile ago it used to work fine.

More than half the Flash drive models no longer provide drivers or support for Windows 98, Windows Me, or Windows NT... and soon W2K. It is part of the initiative of Microsoft to assure that major productivity participants do not support the OS that Microsoft does not support.
I invite you to go online to any of the current USB 2.0 flash drives sold at various online stores, then search for their disc or software download.
In our August survey, we found that three of the five models sold at our local Wal-Mart no longer had drivers available.
It varies by area... but they are fading out. Had an old but terrific Compaq DeskPro EN 866 Mhz Pentium III, and a Gateway Performance 933 Mhz Pentium III (six USB ports) for which none of the five USB flash drives available from the people in the room had downloadable drivers for Windows 98SE.

You may have a defective USB drive. No component of a computer fails more frequently than a DVD optical drive, then CDRW optical drive. But a USB drive is a very very close third. We see hundreds of them every month.

The question remains: Will it work reliably in another computer. Is the current computer USB 2.0, or USB 1.1?

the flash drive works perfectly in my other computer w/o needing the drivers. I plug it in and it works. when i plug it in in stead of making the do-DO sound it makes a do-do-do sound. In the device manager it has a yellow caution sign next to the USB icon. when i click on properties it says:
driver provider: unknown
driver date: not available
driver version: not available
digital signal: not digitally signed

Then you have an unresolvable problem with your hardware in that machine, or a Windows issue. I don't see a way to resolve this problem. If it is not visible in Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management or in Add Hardware...
But since it works in other computers, one would think it is a BIOS issue, or damaged socket.
Sounds like the best shortcut is buy a USB/Firewire board for your spare PCI slot. Good ones are $24. Great ones by Adaptec are about $84
You might also look in your computer to see how the USB sockets are connected to the motherboard... through direct wiring or a connect socket where you can change the wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back