USB Flash Pen Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a problem with a USB Flash Pen. It is an unknown make 512Mb USB2 device. I suspect a faulty USB2 hub on my computer which may have caused the fault but am now looking for a fix. Forget the hub, hopefully, as I have replaced it.

The USB Flash drive, however, is seen by XP as a drive and allocated a logical drive letter but returns ‘Insert a device in drive X’ when clicked on.

This is the second device to go faulty on me, the first was replaced but when the second one went the same way I got suspicious. I have tried the device on a completely different pc and the same problem exists.

Firms like ApexTechnology claim to be able to recover data from these devices with exactly the same error at a price of five times what the device cost. I am not interested in the data, just to get the device working.

I was careful with the second one to undock USB before removing it as I suspected frying the first (however, subsequently think that is more a data write caching issue). Disk Manager will see the drive but not respond, wondering if it was a corrupt partition problem. Have tried booting with XP disk but it does not see USB or the device to repair a partition.

Is there any third party software that can low level interrogate these devices and offer a menu of solutions ? There must be a market as these devices are getting more and more popular and this error is increasing in frequency (dodgy hardware etc). Data recovery obviously should be left to the experts but bringing a dead piece of hardware back to life, instead of disposing of it, has to be good.

Many Thanks for listening to my rambling and hope someone has an anwer.

Steve :evil:

Find yourself a 98 computer, install the drivers for your drive. Then format as fat32. Saved my Sandisk Cruzer Mini once.

For some reason formatting it fat32 in windows xp didn't do the trick. Only in 98, I've see that fix other people's drives too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back