USB Hard Drive = CPU 100% usage - Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toshiba Tecra TE2100 1.8 GHZ P4 laptop with 768 MB RAM. I purchased an external enclosure for a Maxtor 60 Gig IDE hard drive. After starting Windows XP everything is running normal. As soon as I turn on the hard drive my CPU usage skyrockets to 100% and everything runs incredibly slow if at all and the computer won't shut down. When I turn off the drive things return to normal after about 15 minutes. Sometimes Windows comes up and says the drive is installed and everything runs except for the fact that there is no drive letter, but I believe I found a workaround for this in these forums. If I could just solve this CPU problem I believe everything will be ok. Could these problems be related? I have spent hours trying to figure this one out.
Thanks For Your Help,
A.Leep

You should try to fond out what is using 100% CPU. It could be your antivirus program or Windows itself or the USB storage drivers. Could be a damaged filesystem on the drive too. Or maybe the drive is bad..

the first time you mount the HD, it will be scanned for correct filesystem structure.
If you've never used the device elsewhere, then let it spin and do its job.
Otherwise, investigate the device and partition using your Admin Tools ->Storage tool

Re:

That's interesting. I will try letting it spin when I go to bed tonight.. It seems weird though, It worked on my desktop comp. right away with no problem. I will let you know how it goes, in the meantime can you think of anything else that would cause this problem? Very frustrating. Maybe a setting in Windows, or a driver/service pack that could be casuing this?

Thanks
Aleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back