Usb host driver causes me to lose my usb when reboot

smeagle

Asus maximus vi formula,windows 7 64 bit. anybody ever have a problem like this before? flashed bios to latest update already. windows is telling my I need a usb host driver even but they still work , my usb ports that is.

Yea im not sure its that issue. cause I lose all usb peripherals keyboard mouse everything cant even type my pass to get into windows. but I have everything still working in the bios, its just when windows starts too boot I can watch the light on my mouse ,keyboard , and a controller just blink off the second my password log in screen shows up. that is making me think its software related. the last drivers for everything are installed with the exception of the usb host cntrolller driver.

Do you have another keyboard or mouse you could try or another USB port? If no USB ports work then there must be an issue with the peripherals. Try unplugging and plugging them back in when you are logged in. This will allow for Windows to detect them and install the drivers necessary to run them. The automatic driver install may not occur if the hardware is very dated or the hardware is not recognized by the USB port.

I don't know if I can provide any further help.. but will take a look.

List any Problem devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, type msinfo32 in the box. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

Download USBTreeView. Run the 32- or 64-bit version as appropriate for your version of Windows. Click File->Save Report. Save as a txt file on your Desktop. Upload the report to your next post

I reinstalled windows again, its on a SSD so goes a bit quicker, and all usb ports work. The thing is windows is telling me I need too install a usb host driver, yet without the host driver I originally installed that caused me to lose all my usb ports, all the ports work. Im kinda dumb founded by this. if they work , even though windows is telling me I need a driver, do I really need a new driver. My thinking is maybe the driver uses the new usb 3 to its full potential. any ideas on this. its been a few years since I built a new system and had to deal with these issues. LOL

My thinking is maybe the driver uses the new usb 3 to its full potential. any ideas on this. its been a few years since I built a new system and had to deal with these issues.
Yes. Windows 7 doesn't include usb 3.0 drivers. (They do come with Windows 8). So if you have usb 3.0 on your machine, you need the 3.0 drivers. Look at the support site from your motherboard vendor for the drivers.

Yea asus already been there the driver on their support site is the same as the driver I installed and which caused me to lose all my ports. OK question, is usb 3.0 backwards compatable? I dont know maybe not.

Back