Usb hub doesnt wanna work on my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some china no name usb hub,and when i plugged into my computer i getting message "cannot be recognized".So i plugged it into other computer and there is working,but there when i put usb stick it then usb stick doesnt work(which works when is plugged directly).So i took hub to shop where i bought it and test it on their computer and it work perfectly,even with usb stick.
Seller said i should bring my computer to repairing but i think that is stupid suggestion beacuse all my other usb devices works perfectly,so why should i took entire my computer for one component?I can bet other usb hub would work perfectly,but bald seller said i should take that one beacuse it's cheapest.
So any idea why that error "cannot be recognized"apper only at my main computer?

I've seen this before. Check your bios. I'm betting that the usb is turned off. It happens.

rickk1 said:
I've seen this before. Check your bios. I'm betting that the usb is turned off. It happens.
I dont think so,beacuse i tried in every port,and all other usb devices works fine.I have usb mouse,cammera,printer,scanner,microphone,etc....

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

This probably isn`t it, but it`s worth checking.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it.

Look for the Plug and Play service and make sure it`s started and set to Automatic.

Click apply/ok and close the services Window.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Yep it's isnt beacuse otherwise other usb devices wont work.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Ok, give this a try and see if it helps.

Taken from HERE post #163093

vitalviking said:
I have just experienced the same problem with my printers working on USB ports but not my USB memory stick or card reader and I got exactly the same error message as yourself.
I phoned my computer manufacturer's helpdesk and they told me I would have to re-format my hard disk and re-install Windows XP which I did only to find that the problem still existed.
Someone on one of the newsgroups to which I am subscribed suggested not only closing down my computer but also switching it off at the mains socket. Seemingly this allows any residual current on the motherboard or any stray capacitance to discharge.
Believe it or not it worked!

Regards Howard :)

Perhaps your system needs a bios update. I know that if you have a Dell that you can get bios updates for your particular system.

what operating system are you running on this computer? Do the other computers have the same operating system?

Ok i will try to turn off computer totaly for 20 minutes it could be power supply issue but somehow i doubt beacuse hub have power when it's turned on.
I tried hub on 2 other computers which have almost same configuration,windows xp sp2.(there working but doesnt recognize usb stick)Also computer in shop where i bought it have also windowsxp2

Well i had 2 usb ports on front and they stop to work completly,(after all that is reason why i bought hub)so maybe that is connection.Before those two ports also didnt work properly,for example when i puted printer on those two ports i got same cannot be recognized error,but it work on backside ports.Perhaps error of those two ports is connected with usb hub error.

I turned off computer completely for more then 20 minutes,turned off front usb,and still nothing.I am cursed.Maybe windows reinstallation will help,but that will cost me much much more then those 10$ which i paid for hub

I see your point and don`t blame you for not wanting to format.

I suggest taking the usb hub back and getting a different one.

Regards Howard :)

JACOBKELL said:
for example when i puted printer on those two ports i got same cannot be recognized error,but it work on backside ports.Perhaps error of those two ports is connected with usb hub error.
Front side ports are typically usb/1.1 for camera attachments while the
backside ports are usb/2.0 (if supported on your system).

use the Device Mgr->Usb Controllers
expand the [+] to see all devices
ONLY the USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller is the highspeed 2.0 version.
(the sad part is, you really cant tell where that/those ports are physically on the system!)

I'll say it again...your system needs a bios update. If that fails as well, then I suggest that you totally repartition, format, and reinstall windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back