USB -> IDE disk drive holder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokem

Hi all,

Has anyone here tried using an USB -> IDE disk drive holder b4? It's an external device which allows you to place your IDE drives (hard disk or CD) and then plug it to the USB socket in your comp.

Just want to know whether are there any complications there.

TIA!

I have seen them advertised, and they seem better value for money then ready built USB drives. But USB1.1 transfer rate is too slow really. Firewire speeds are better.

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
I have seen them advertised, and they seem better value for money then ready built USB drives. But USB1.1 transfer rate is too slow really. Firewire speeds are better.

The only reason I'm looking at this is becoz I just can't get myself to buy those pen size drives which you can stick it rite at the USB port. Furthermore, Firewire isn't available widely on PCs...

I'll have to drag the unit to and fro from my work place and to other places, I wouldn't want to open up casings all the time :D And thanks for the heads up. Didn't know those cards are sooo cheap!

Originally posted by lokem
I'll have to drag the unit to and fro from my work place and to other places, I wouldn't want to open up casings all the time :D And thanks for the heads up. Didn't know those cards are sooo cheap!

yeah, firewire has dropped way down..i remember when it was 80.00. now its 13..

It would be alright if all the machines involved had USB2.0, then performance wouldn't be too bad. But I doubt that would be the case.

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
It would be alright if all the machines involved had USB2.0, then performance wouldn't be too bad. But I doubt that would be the case.

Guess not. But in the case of USB1.1, how's the speed compared to a parellel ZIP drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back