USB -> IDE disk drive holder?

By lokem
Mar 6, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

Has anyone here tried using an USB -> IDE disk drive holder b4? It's an external device which allows you to place your IDE drives (hard disk or CD) and then plug it to the USB socket in your comp.

Just want to know whether are there any complications there.

TIA!
  2. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

I have seen them advertised, and they seem better value for money then ready built USB drives. But USB1.1 transfer rate is too slow really. Firewire speeds are better.
  3. lokem

lokem Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 773

The only reason I'm looking at this is becoz I just can't get myself to buy those pen size drives which you can stick it rite at the USB port. Furthermore, Firewire isn't available widely on PCs...
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,411   +281

For $13 USD you can get a Firewire card for your computer.
  5. lokem

I'll have to drag the unit to and fro from my work place and to other places, I wouldn't want to open up casings all the time :D And thanks for the heads up. Didn't know those cards are sooo cheap!
  6. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

yeah, firewire has dropped way down..i remember when it was 80.00. now its 13..
  7. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

It would be alright if all the machines involved had USB2.0, then performance wouldn't be too bad. But I doubt that would be the case.
  8. lokem

Guess not. But in the case of USB1.1, how's the speed compared to a parellel ZIP drive?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.