USB mouse having glitches...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druegan

Salutations all,

Lately I've been having some odd mouse trouble..
Periodically, the mouse will "freeze" for a couple seconds on the screen, and occasionally, a popup in the system tray will say something to the effect of a USB device being disconnected, or losing functionality, or somesuch, and every once in a while, it'll go through some "driver installation" bit...

The mouse is a Logitech, corded optical USB.. I have no clue the model number. I'm running windows XP on a system I built less than a year ago.

I've checked and I'm running the most up-to-date drivers... I've uninstalled and reinstalled the mouse drivers, as well as the USB drivers. No avail there.

The system isn't running hot.. it's got enough fans to kill a horse, and every temp sensor is running well in the normal range.. (sub 45C)

I'm running on a gig of ram, and the system has a 650watt power supply. Mouse freezes occur even when nothing but the OS is running.

Virus scans have all come back negative, and I sweep the system for spyware , adware, and other greyware regularly.

Mouse freezes were occuring even when I using the USB-to-PS2 adapter, and occur regardless of USB slot.

And finally, all this simply began about 2 weeks ago, and seem to be getting worse.

With all of this, I'm thinking that I probably have an intermittant short somewhere in the mouse cable, or in the mouse itself. No big deal, 20 bucks to replace it. But I wanted to see if any of you had any ideas.. perhaps something I may have missed.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Druegan

Checking the mouse cable,especially near the plug would be the obvious thing.
However,if look at this thread HERE you`ll see that it can be very difficult problem to diagnose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back