USB Mouse problems with new Motherboard

By albert3801
Jul 11, 2005
  1. I've just replaced the motherboard on my computer and while it was all working fine at first after 2 days it's exhibiting some weird behaviour with my Microsoft USB Optical mouse.

From a cold boot the mouse will not be recognised by Windows (neither Win98SE nor Win2000 - dual boot) will recognise the mouse and it doesn't light up fully - only very dimly as it is before windows loads. If after Windows has loaded I unplug and re-plug the mouse into the USB port then it lights up and Windows instantly sees the mouse. Exactly the same behaviour in both Win98 and Win2000. Subsequent warm boots / in and out of Stand by mode etc no problem. It's only from a cold boot that this happens.

Is it likely to be a motherboard problem or is it just my mouse dying?
    Any ideas?
  2. albert3801

albert3801 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Found answer to my own problem. BIOS option "Park USB device". Disabling this fixed the problem.
  3. etherga

etherga TS Rookie Posts: 51

i'm having a similar problem with USB mouse. However it does it randomly. Doesnt matter whether its cold boot or not. Does it during normal use, gameplay, and just sitting there.
    Mobo is a MSI K8N Neo (MS-7030). I checked in bios, i dont have a park usb device option.
  4. albert3801

albert3801 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'd suggest trying a different USB port to see if something is up with the one you are using - or even trying a different mouse.
  5. etherga

etherga TS Rookie Posts: 51

Different mouse seems to have fixed it. Whew! thought i might have a mobo defect for a while there!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.