USB Networking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilC2005

In my study I have two computers, one belongs to the school and is connected to the school network, the other is my own and is therefore not connected to the network for security reasons, I want to be able to transfer data between the two without having to use floppy disks as some of the files I use are 5MB+.

I was wondering whether a USB lead could be used to allow each computer to recognise each other as a USB disk for file transfer I cannot use Laplink or anything because I am not allowed to put any programs on the school computer, (I have just got it back after 6 weeks because I put Firefox and Skype on it!).

Anyone got any ideas for interconnect,anything over 100kbps would be great!

Both have USB 1 ports and serial ports

Since you are not allowed to put programs on the school computer. Have you thought about using a USB flash drive? They are not very expensive and work great.

(Somthing like $35 for a 256mb Sandisk, probably cheaper on-line)

To do it over USB would require a special bit of kit to plug between the USB ports.

I made a similar enquiry, in the networking forum I believe, where this was answered.

A thumbdrive is probably the better option.

pen drives was the other option..........i think i will stick to them as i'm not sure that the admin here would like me directly connecting the computers....... ah well, it was an idea, might try it some time just to see if it works but I have read that a USB bus can only have one host so it probably won't work but i might try it anyway.......

PhilC2005 said:
In my study I have two computers, one belongs to the school and is connected to the school network, the other is my own and is therefore not connected to the network for security reasons, I want to be able to transfer data between the two without having to use floppy disks as some of the files I use are 5MB+.

Why do you want to use USB to do this? If you are security conscious, why not just connect the computers together via Ethernet, but disable all services except the one or two things you want to use... (i.e. install a firewall and disable everything but FTP) - it's a cheaper and much easier solution...

Securing your computer so that it's safe to put on a network is vastly more important and beneficial to you long term than finding a USB or other workaround...

the reason that I wanted to use USB was that the network port on my school computer is already connected to the network and so does not have a free ethernet port.

My own computer is completely set up with up-to-date firewall and virus protection, I am just not allowed to connect it to the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back