Usb optical mouse not working

mooney12

Hi so yesterday, after I plugged my mouse back in after a night of it being unplugged.. it stopped working
2 out of 4 usb ports get the red light to come on but the mouse wont move cursor or click.. its not showing in device manager either and nothing shows any problems in device manager

Oops, missed that. Does the mouse work on other computers? Do other mice work on this computer?

In device manager, 'uninstall' everything related to USB, starting with 'usb hub'. Turn off PC. Take out power cord, open up your case. Take out the small battery on your motherboard. Press Power button multiple times, holding it in. Leave resting for 10 mins. Put battery back in, close up PC, connect up power cord, disconnect all USB devices. Start up PC, let it boot up, plug in keyboard. Log in, let it load, then start plugging devices in one by one. Confirm they are installing properly.

I would take the battery out, but I dont know where its located on laptops, im running a gateway 6518gz if that helps.. do you know where it would be located?

I uninstalled the drivers, they all installed upon boot up, didnt remove cmos battery as I dont think its possible on this laptop.. and also, when I plug something such as my phone it doesnt notify me in button bar

Take out the standard laptop battery pack instead of the "CMOS battery.

Try it all again. Yes, upon boot the USB hub should reinstall itself.

If it doesn't work, try installing the latest BIOS firmware and motherboard drivers for the laptop.

Ive tried the battery thing, and reinstalling usb drivers doesnt work, and for my gateway 6518gz I cant find drivers for mobo or bios ANYWHERE.. so is there anything else I can do before I take it to geeksquad?

Screw it lol, this laptop is 8 years old, I think its time for a replacement.. ill just buy a refurbished one from bestbuy... thanks anyway dude.. I appreciate your willingness to help

No problem, sucks we couldn't solve it.

8 yrs is indeed very old for a laptop, and it could actually be the USB ports on the mobo dying.. :(

Back