USB Port issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SisAdMan

Anyone know how or why when I plug in a storage device into a usb port it shows up in device manager but not in 'My Computer' ?

Any yellow flag in Device manager?

Is either the 'E' or 'F' drive letters already assigned?

Is this a 'new' device that hasn't been connected before?

What OS?

Does it require a power adapter?

Do you have and are you using USB 2.0 ports?

Is USB 2.0 working for other devices?

etc

Sorry about the lack of information.

These devices have been connected before hand and worked fine.

We're running XP.

One does, it's an external hard drive, other is a thumbdrive.

We're using 2.0 ports.

I'm assuming the other ports are working such as mouse, keyboard.

Also sometimes it seems that the devices appear in my computer but they aren't able to execute or open anything from the devices.

Try this: go into Device manager, change view to Devices by Connection, and assuming you have an ACPI system, open the ACPI tree and open the MS ACPI Compliant System and open the PCI Bus and look for the USB Universal Host Controller entries.

Open each - any USB port without a device connected will just say USB Root Hub WITHOUT a check mark box. Leave those open and close the ones that have a check mark box.

Since those are the ones that are causing your problem, uninstall them.

Reboot and try your device.

Ha, I foudn the problem. We use card readers at work so it was interfering with the lettering of the drives causing conflicts. Just went into device manager and manually assigned letters to the drives. Thanks anyway!

Now I have a user having a problem with explorer.exe. It's not loading up on start up. It loads fine manually with task man. Checked the reg, everything checks out fine there.

'Is either the 'E' or 'F' drive letters already assigned?'

That was my point! lol

great it is working

edit: start a new thread for that problem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back