USB ports don't work

I have a HP P6000 desktop running windows 7 home I have 8 USB ports 6 on the back 2 in front only one port in the front works and that is only intermittently it will just stop working and if I un plug an plug back in it says USB device not recognized I have tried all I can think of uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled tried updating drivers called HP support that was useless I'm lost all ports say in device manager that they are operating normally and all ports give power to my speakers but anything other than being used as a power source they just don't work just the one in front works when it wants too please any help would be greatly appreciated

Try using Punctuation, . It makes it almost impossible to read when no commas (,) or periods (.) are used.

I have a HP P6000 desktop running windows 7 home.
I have 8 USB ports 6 on the back 2 in front.
only one port in the front works and that is only intermittently.
it will just stop working and if I un plug an plug back in it says USB device not recognized.
I have tried all I can think of uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled tried updating drivers called HP support that was useless.
I'm lost all ports say in device manager that they are operating normally and all ports give power to my speakers.
but anything other than being used as a power source they just don't work. just the one in front works when it wants too please any help would be greatly appreciated.

My guess is that something you have been using on the USB ports is going rogue. Unplug everything from USB. Power down. Remove power cable. Press and hold power button for 30 seconds. Reconnect power cable and power up. First connect only mouse. Does it work? Then keyboard. Does it work? Check device manager and keep it on screen. Hopefully, both mouse and keyboard now work. Anything else you connect to USB is suspect. Reconnect one item after another and confirm appearance in Device Manager. If connected but not appearing, consider as suspect.

I did what you suggested with the power button.
after I turned PC back on I tried the mouse it worked in the one port on the front but not in any other port.
I also tried connecting my cellphone it connects as a mass storage device but does not let me do anything with it or prompt me with an action when first connected.
my phone will charge in any of the ports but only the one port will connect it as a mass storage device.
the mouse works the same intermittently when it wants to but only in the one port but shows up in device manager as an unknown device.
when the USB for the wireless mouse is plugged in any other port the green light comes on saying it has power but that is all that will happen same with the phone just charges in any other port.
this was the first time my phone was connected thought I should try a new USB device so gave the phone a shot.

I can only suggest there's a fault in the motherboard on the computer :) Its highly likely to be the hardware based on the given info.

With things this messy, you are risking whatever you 'try' on the USB. Please stick to cheap to replace mouse and keyboard.

So you performed a 'power cycle' and it failed to reset the USB - not good. Last thing to try - go into Device Manager, click View tab and click Show Hidden and then remove all USB devices including USB controllers, hubs and all devices using USB. Then mouse over to Start and click Power Shutdown. Remove mouse from USB port and start computer again.

Back