USB ports not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelguy

All my usb ports stopped working. I reinstalled the drivers and the system says they are 'working fine' yet they aren't. Updated bios, reinstalled root hubs, no change. I have a ASUS p4p800 mboard running win xp home. ASUS dude said to reinstall OS but I can't without wiping the drive. Any thoughts?

I suggest you do as the Asus guy said. Backup your important data and reformat and reinstall the OS. If that doesn`t help, It`s probably the mobo that`s faulty.

Regards Howard :)

Somethin like that happened to me. What are you using the USB slots for? Because it may be a fault on the end of the device, One of my USB cable was faulty and I thought it was the mobo, come to find out, the cord was the problem.

Howard has seniority and Masterful wisdom and I would never doubt what he says, but I have to agree with DS_Flare . I have had a similar problem this week and I thought my PC was crashed, but it was a hardware/USB issue. I would unplug your USB devices and reboot and check your system before connecting any USB hardware. Rule out your hardware systematically. I would do as Howard says and back-up all your important data just to be safe.I was really nervous because I didn't do that and I thought it was gone.
Good to have you back HOWARD. :giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back