USB Ports stopped working?

ZacArnero

My USB keyboard and mouse had both stopped working during the middle of an online game I was playing. I use a USB WiFi adapter that remained to work, so that is how I know that not all of the USB ports had stopped working at once. After 5 minutes of waiting for the USB's to respond, or turn back on, I gave up and held the power button down to shut off my computer, expecting that it had bugged out or whatnot. I turned my computer back on, and my fans had begun to spin, and the led's that accompanied them turned on. Although this had happened, nothing was displayed on the monitor, and my USB keyboard and mouse had not lit up as they usually do. I shut the computer down, and on the second time it booted. It took about 5 minutes to see a display on the monitor, and everything was normal, besides the fact that my mouse had not worked, but me keyboard seemed to act just fine. I tried different USB ports to plug the mouse into, but it would not work in any of them. I did the same for the keyboard, and the keyboard had worked in every single port. I looked up a solution online, and I saw several people say that simply reinstalling Windows fixed the problem for them. I navigated through the computer only using the keyboard, and reinstalled Windows. Everything went fine until I came across the setup menu for Windows (Enter your name, date, location, etc.) My keyboard had stopped working. I relocated it to different ports, but each time I would plug it in, it would light up for only a second, and then shut off again. I am still stuck at this problem, and any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind if responding that I can not access the computer through clicking, typing, or pressing the F-Keys on startup. Thank you.

If you have access to a working computer, try mouse and keyboard there - determine if still 'good'

I need specifics about your system - model numbers, etc - operating system, etc

If you have overclocking - turn that all off.

Cut out any non-essential peripherals.

If you have a multi-meter, back probe the connectors and confirm voltages, especially 5v, is within specs.

Consider a special scan... https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj649351.aspx

If you have access to a working computer, try mouse and keyboard there - determine if still 'good'

If you have a multi-meter, back probe the connectors and confirm voltages, especially 5v, is within specs.

Consider a special scan... https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj649351.aspx

Unfortunately, I do not own a multi-meter. About my system, I don't really know what is relevant in this kind of situation so I'll tell you what I know off the top of my head! I am currently running Windows 10. My motherboard is an MSI 760GM-P34(FX), my GPU is a Gigabyte AMD r7 370, I'm not sure the exact name/model of my processor but it is an AMD processor, and a 500gb hard drive. I have never overclocked my computer, as I have always been happy with it's performance. I don't think I can run a scan, as I can't really access my computer haha.
Thanks for the help! -Zac

There's a good chance the mouse is defective. It's can't be the USB ports as the other USB devices work OK when plugged into them. Hold off on any radical steps until you've checked it out.

First priority: get system to POST.
Likely cause of problem: bad mouse.
Troubleshooting: test mouse in another system, get known good mouse and test with your system.

First POST, then BIOS (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000607.htm)

Please clean system with 'canned air' and carefully inspect under strong light. Apparently, some copies of this motherboard can develop electrical problems (which would appear as brown or black spots).

I have checked the mouse on two other systems, and it works. The mouse is not the problem, and the keyboard is not the problem. I have tried another mouse that I can confirm works on another system, and that does not work either. However, the optical laser on the bottom of the mouse happens to light up red. I take this as an indication that the ports are providing power. I have also cleaned my system, and thoroughly checked my motherboard for brown or black spots, in which I did not find.

If your motherboard has a PS/2 socket you could try a traditional mouse and reinstall Windows that way.

So, mouse is 'good' which means that the next link in the 'hardware chain' may be the problem... the trouble with that is that it is the motherboard and that is 'expensive', so I would suggest instead that you try some trouble shooting steps...

First off, however, is bazz2004's idea of a PS/2 mouse since this avoids USB - so try that if you can.

Otherwise, I would recommend that you work trough the various steps in this article:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000607.htm

The idea here is to cut down on what is attached until we can identify a 'good' configuration which will allow you to get a clean POST. Beep codes can tell us a lot. https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/bios-beep-codes

Let us know how it goes.

So, mouse is 'good' which means that the next link in the 'hardware chain' may be the problem... the trouble with that is that it is the motherboard and that is 'expensive', so I would suggest instead that you try some trouble shooting steps...

First off, however, is bazz2004's idea of a PS/2 mouse since this avoids USB - so try that if you can.

Otherwise, I would recommend that you work trough the various steps in this article:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000607.htm

The idea here is to cut down on what is attached until we can identify a 'good' configuration which will allow you to get a clean POST. Beep codes can tell us a lot. https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/bios-beep-codes

Let us know how it goes.
So, I've done all of the post steps that don't require me 'messing' with the inside of the computer, apart from removing the RAM which I am comfortable with. My computer is still accompanied by a single beep (it has always beeped upon startup) so there seems to be no problem there. Another question: Could the PS/2 Mouse seriously fix my problem? I do not want to travel 20 minutes (the closest place that would sell one of those around here) just to spend $20 on something that is not likely to fix my problem. On top of this, the quickest Amazon could deliver this type of product would be by Wednesday, and I am seriously itching to get this computer fixed! Thanks again -Zac

I really don't know. It's a very strange problem and I've tried to suggest cheap and easy approaches. You have said that others solved the problem by reinstalling Windows. To do that you need a working mouse but if you had a working mouse there would be no need to reinstall Windows. The PS/2 mouse is now obsolete and should cost you very little. A friend may well give you one for nothing. It'll be of no help though unless you have PS/2 sockets at the back of your tower.

I really don't know. It's a very strange problem and I've tried to suggest cheap and easy approaches. You have said that others solved the problem by reinstalling Windows. To do that you need a working mouse but if you had a working mouse there would be no need to reinstall Windows. The PS/2 mouse is now obsolete and should cost you very little. A friend may well give you one for nothing. It'll be of no help though unless you have PS/2 sockets at the back of your tower.
I have checked, and I do have PS/2 Sockets at the back of my tower.

Fixing this doesn't look as if it's a five minute job. eBay do a PS/2 mouse with free postage for about £3 and it's the sort of thing that people have lying about. I've got two in the loft in a box that have come in handy when I've had a USB issue.

Fixing this doesn't look as if it's a five minute job. eBay do a PS/2 mouse with free postage for about £3 and it's the sort of thing that people have lying about. I've got two in the loft in a box that have come in handy when I've had a USB issue.
Thanks for the info. In all honesty, do you think it would be a better idea to drop my computer off at a local micro center? The reason I've been avoiding it is because they charge $50 to look at the computer, and then I'm sure hefty additional charges for fixing it and holding it.

If they are any good it will go into the queue and they'll be looking at it in a couple of days. Then you have to pay the $50 and decide whether or not to let them go ahead. Why the haste?

If they are any good it will go into the queue and they'll be looking at it in a couple of days. Then you have to pay the $50 and decide whether or not to let them go ahead. Why the haste?
Just got out of school and exams so playing frequently was something I was looking forward to. I don't really have much else to do but sit around and wait.

Back