Usb problem.. help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pin0ydude

Hi all, im new here.
recently, something weird has been happening to my usb. Whenever i want to open it, i go to My Computer>double click my usb and it used to just open up the drive's contents from there, but now it pops up a dialog asking which program to open it with.
I've scanned with my computer and my usb with AVG Free Edition, Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware and they come up clean.
I have no clue what to do.
I have attached my HJT log, so any help would be much appreciated :)

Thank you

PS: my firewall Comodo picked up this file in the 'my pending files' list: G:\Cn911.exe
I'm not sure whether this is related or not.

CN911 is a spyware program, you have probably removed it by running the spyware programs. But it may have changed some system settings while there. To put them back to only open files goto my computer and right-click the USB device, choose properties, Select the AutoPlay tab, under select content - choose mixed content, from actions - choose select action to perform, then choose open folder to view files, click OK to exit out.

Good luck

Yeah, probably the files have been removed already, but the autorun is still there... heres my suggestion:

1. Make sure you have 'view all hidden files', and that includes system files as well in folder options.
2. Browse into your usb drive and look for a file called autorun.inf, if you find it, delete it. That should fix your problem.
3. If it still occurs and if you don't need your files in your usb, or if you know the USB is clean and insist on backing up the files, which you should if thats the case, then run the HP USB Storage Format tool and wipe it clean.

Hope that helps :)

You don't need to format the USB device. Use Flash Disinfector from here to clean the drive of the malware that causes this. Restart and voila! The problem's gone.

Well reformatting the USB takes a few minutes at most so i don't think its that much of a time loss >_>

I myself wouldn't quite bother really. its going to take me so little time its not really something worth considering... like downloading a new program i don't have in my system haha...

Then again i'm slack and i look for the quickest and most effective way out heh.

Thanks for your help guys.

To kingcomp, i tried that but the problem still persists.

To HaMsTeYr, i enabled the showing of hidden files, but did not find any autorun.inf.
I'd rather not reformat my usb drive, but if it comes to that, then i will have to.

I'm about to try Flash Disinfector.

By the way, when i connected my other usb drive (i have 2) it also suffered from the same problem. Neither of my 2 usb drives suffered from this problem until recently. Could it be that my computer is infected with something?

I just tried Flash Disinfector.
It worked, up until i ejected my usb drive, then put it back in to check if it really did solve the problem. Bad news. The problem is still there.
any other suggestions?

bit of advice but from my experience with AVG, i don't really like it. I had an infected computer once and AVG couldn't help it at all and it kept infecting all over the place. Then i switched to Kaspersky or Bitdefender... then problem solved. Thing is that those two aren't free software.

I'd recommend changing your anti-virus to Avira AntiVir. It might or might not help your problem but i definitely found this one more effective than AVG. and yes, its free if you go for the personal edition. Come to think of it there is a bitdefender build that is free too, i think it was Bitdefender 8 or something.

Also, you said you just enabled showing of hidden files but did you go into Folder Options > View > Hide Protected Operating System Files and uncheck that?

I had something like this before and yes, it makes the autorun.inf register as a system file so just selecting show hidden files would be insufficient.

Also if more files exist that you know you didn't place in there are present i'd suggest you'd delete them. Your USB Flash disk will still work, no worries.

Is Avira Antivir low on system resource usage? As i wouldn't want my system to slow down to a crawl.

Ok, so i went to Folder Options > View > Hide Protected Operating System Files and found autorun on my usb. I deleted it so now it's problem solved. Thanks a lot :D:D:D

Come to think of it, a few days back when this problem started, AVG detected something while I was just minding my own business on my computer. A window came up saying that a threat was detected and the infection was called 'Generic' or something and clicked 'heal', thinking that AVG would take care of it.

Just out of curiosity, what causes this problem? i wouldn't want this to happen again as it's a bit of a nuisance.

THANKS ONCE AGAIN

PS. Now when i insert my usb, no 'action' dialog pops up anymore. I would like to have this 'action' dialog pop up whenever i put my usb in. Is there a way to do this?

So i wrote an entire long *** reply and then my internet fails while sending so i have to retype it again =.=

Anyway, No problems dude :) i'm just doing my small bit to help the community based on what i know.

As far as i've used Avira Antivir, i've never had any resource problems with it so i think its pretty good. I'm going to install it on my 5 year old pentium 4 laptop with 512mb ram and yeah, i'm going to expect it to take very little system resources from such a slow machine haha...

And yes, thats the thing about AVG. I don't really mean to badmouth them but i've NEVER had a successful virus clean by AVG software. They keep on saying its failed or what not. Well, thats just my personal experience and if you don't like Avira there is Avast! antivirus which does a pretty good job as well though i've not tried how well it handles virus breakouts (mainly because i don't go all out to get my computer infected by viruses :p)

If i'm not mistakened, its caused via a hijacker trojan that attempts to spread itself in many ways, one of them being removable hard disk drives...

Hmm what you can try is right click the drive > properties > autoplay > Prompt me each time to choose an action. That might help you :) congrats on the clean drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back