USB Problem - High Speed Port

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a Compaq Presario SR2044NX computer. It has four USB ports in the back and three in the front all identified as USB 2.0 ports. I have had several problems with devices plugged into them. I first noticed this with backup programs. The programs either run very slowly or freeze up with an error window appearing saying:

"The USB Mass Storage Device is a HI-SPEED USB device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI-SPEED port." It further says "The hubs shown in bold type have free ports that can support the HI-SPEED USB device."

There is a picture showing the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller not in bold.
Beneath that is USB Root Hub (8 ports) in bold.
Beneath that eight ports are shown, one of which will show the plugged in device, none of which are in bold.

I have experienced this with two different WD external drives and three different zip drives. All of these work fine on my HP laptop.

I called Compaq customer service and the man at first seemed unaware as to exactly what a USB port was. His supervisor suggested that I uninstall the USB ports and let them be re-detected. I tried this - didn't work.

I believe that this is a driver or settings problem. Can anyone here give me a clue?

- Bill

willic said:
... It has four USB ports in the back and three in the front all identified as USB 2.0 ports.
I have experienced this with two different WD external drives and three different zip drives. All of these work fine on my HP laptop.
USUALLY, the front (or side) ports are USB 1.1 and those on the back panel are
USB 2.0, so plug your devices accordingly.

When cabled-up and visible via My Computer, go to your Device Mgr
and look at the USB devices. You should find your device under the controller
labelled "Usb 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller".

If not, use the Disconnect Device icon in the system try to STOP the device,
then unplug and move to another slot until it is associated with the USB 2.0 controller.
I called Compaq customer service and the man at first seemed unaware as to exactly what a USB port was. His supervisor suggested that I uninstall the USB ports and let them be re-detected. I tried this - didn't work.
good luck with support :(

Thanks Jo,

> USUALLY, the front (or side) ports are USB 1.1 and those on the back panel are USB 2.0, so plug your devices accordingly. <

The ones in the front are labeled USB 2.0 and I have had the same problem with devices plugged into both the front and back ports.

> When cabled-up and visible via My Computer, go to your Device Mgr
and look at the USB devices. You should find your device under the controller
labelled "Usb 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller". <

They all are.

> unplug and move to another slot until it is associated with the USB 2.0 controller. <

They all seem to be associated with the USB 2.0 controller.

I have tried disconnecting every USB device on the machine (The keyboard and mouse are not USB) and then testing devices one at a time. With nothing plugged in except a flash drive I still have the same problems. I am beginning to wonder if it could be a hardware problem with the USB controller? I hope not as that is built into the motherboard.

Yes, but thanks for the suggestion. I have checked that power management was disabled for all USB devices. (It seemed to have been by default.) Additionally the WD1200 is powered by a separate power cord while the WD Passport drive draws its power off of the USB port as do, of course, the flash drives.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled every USB device and checked for new drivers (I found none).

Compaq USB Problem

In addition to the previous steps I have disabled Legacy Support in the BIOS. This stopped the freezes but has done nothing for the speed.

I have the SAME EXACT problem. Willic, have you found a fix for this issue yet?

I have a Compaq V3000Z laptop. One day all my USB ports just became 1.1 ports out of the blue. I only have 3 usb ports but it also says I have 8. People say I just need to install Windows SP2. I just installed SP3 and it still hasn't fixed it. I'm not sure what to do.

Sometimes all my ports just stop working. I just uninstall the "Enhanced Host Controller" and they all work again, but still at 1.1 non Hi-Speed rate.

Same problem here! First appeared on a new computer I bought on eBay but then it apparently spread through my home network to my other computers! I've NEVER had problems with my old computer and now it's doing the same thing as the new one. What the heck is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back