usb problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyr0

hey everyone,

just having some usb problems and have been unable to find any working solutions anywhere yet.
anyways basically my ipod and digital camera refuse to be properly recognised by windows when connected. They would normally show up in my computer as a disk drive but they dont. They do show up in device manager which makes me think thats it's not a driver problem? i updated the drivers anyway and found that i hadthe most recent drivers installed.

The motherboard is brand new as i only just upgraded my comp like 2 weeks ago and only just tried connecting this stuff. The mobo is a ASUS M2N-Sli Deluxe. I dont think its the mobo because its new and because my portable HDD and my USB mouse and keyboard both work in it.

The portable HDD and the ipod use the same mass storage drivers.

Anyways anyone have any helpful suggesteions?
cheers

im running XP Pro SP2

Do you happen to have any network drives mapped?

Can you see the devices under Disk Management?

thanks for the reply nodsu,
im not exactly sure what you mean by having network drives mapped - if you could explain that further that would be great :D
and yes i can see them under disk managemnet... hmm that should be a clue i suppose but im not sure what :p

cheers

EDIT: i just noticed that in disk management my ipod doesnt have a drive letter assigned to it... hmmm could this be the problem?
EDIT: after doing this the ipod was detected by itunes which is great - but can not be seen in my computer although i have disk usage enabled on the ipod hmmm
EDIT: ok when i change the usb port my ipod is connected to then it doesnt detect it again - and i have to re-assign the ipod a drive letter - but... the previously used drive letter is no-longer available... strange
still not appearing in my computer

ok so i was looking at some help stuff about disk management in disk management utility and i managed to sorta glean some almost useful information from microsofts usual garbage
it would seem that my computer is not statically assigning drive letters to each removable drive or something like that - unfortunately i dont know how to do this and i think it would be worth a shot

anyone know or got better idea as to what the problem is? :)

EDIT: the plot thickens - i restarted and alas - the ipod does not remember which drive letter i assigned it and all the drive letters not being used have been freed up to be used
before the new mobo removable devices would always have the same drive letter when connected - even if no others were connected - strange indeed

Did you install the latest drivers for your motherboard too?

There is a Windows service called Shell Hardware Detection. Do you have it running?

yes i have the latest drivers installed - although the mobo is only 2 weeks old i still downloaded and installed the drivers off the asus website
yes shell hardware detection service is running

the device's appear in device manager and in disk management, they do not appear in my computer like they should
when i plug them in a little bubble pops up off the task bar saying they have been detected and thier drivers/hardware installed
however when viewed in disk manager they do not have drive letters assigned to them
when i assign them a drive letter they are recognised ie: ipod mounts in itunes - but is not available in my computer like it should be
also when i restart the computer the devices are back to square 1 and need drive letters assigned to them again

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back