usb storage devices not installing properly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

simbob

hello guys i have a lexcron 50 in 1 USB card reader.

It was working fine, and when i have gone to use it, it doesnt appear to be working now. I tryed removing it from the 'devices' tab, then replugging it in.

But windows is not detecting it properly, it is being detected as 'unknown device'. (shows up in the usb controllers in device manager though)

But also says there is no device driver installed for it.

on my other com, just auto installs etc when i plug it in.

i tryed it in another com to the see if it is the device it self, but it works fine in the other com. so i decided to do a format / fresh install. and the problem still persists.

Currently on windows xp sp2 (b4 format was on sp2 and the other com is sp1) so the sp is not the issue. i have tryed it in other USB ports which i know work.

I have done about 4 formats / reinstallations.

Other USB devices, such as mouse, keyboard, bluetooth dongle, and usb gamepad all work OK.

any ideas on how to get windows to recognise it properly?

I have the same problem when connecting my ipod to the com.

And windows appears to install flawslessly. (i have used 3 diffrent XP disks during my installations)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and thanks for your suggestion.

I have unplugged the front USB to see if that was causing any conflict. Still Nada, ive done another format / install. and nothing. still says its un-known. all mobo stuff is installed, and there is no loose connections etc.

HI there, i have been lucky not to have had many problems with usb so far!!
But from the info you have given us it might be worth checking out these ideas!!!!
1 - You mentioned you had more than one usb device i have heard of machines struggling if you plug in to many devices!!
So it maybe worth unpluging one or two usb devices to see if that would help!!!! (long shot)

2 - You say that it work in/on other pc's would it be that ur pc is usb 1.1 and the card reader is a usb 2 device!!!!

3 - The only other thing that comes to mind is that it may be spyware, and YES, there's spyware that can stick around after a reistall or get in as you are downloading drivers!!!!
(most probable)

Go here - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic50981.html - and follow the instrutions carefully!!!!

thanks rik,

My pc is most definately usb 2.0.

these devices worked a while ago.
im a carefull user as far as spyware / virus are concerened and always kept my protection programs up to date.
have only my essentials in atm. and even when i unplugged the keyboard and mouse, it still says that the card reader & (or) ipod are 'unknown'

Ive just done a repair, but still it hasnt helped. i cant think of anything else to do?? any one got ANY suggestionS? regardless of how insignificant you may think they are, please post them and i will try.

EDIT:

Just tryed reinstalling windows on a seperate HDD, same problem.

Could my mobo just be going bad?

Check you bios and see if you have the option, PNP OS, is so , make sure it says yes. Make sure the device is plugged in when you reboot.

If this doesn't work then I would say you have a failing port

All 6 failing? lol.

Anyways, just a quick update. tryed a usb flash drive / mp3 player, and that works fine.

but the ipod and usb card reader work fine in my other pc, so i really dont think the off chance of them both being dead is likely, i think its more specific to this computer,

Is it possible that the SiS chipset on my motherboard may be dying?

OMG, what a b*stard that is.

i thought i would try resetting the cmos, and it bloody worked!

ive spent all that time trying this and that, all because i didnt try the most simplest and easiest thing, first.

Ive even lossed all my files by forgetting to back them up before the format.

lol.

So a tip for any one experiencing this problem, try resetting your cmos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back