TechSpot

Use ghost to boot from non-bootable CD with Ghost image on it

By rawcious
May 18, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greetings,
    I am currently using a boot disk that maps to a network server with Ghost images on it, but in this case I have a very old image that is needed for testing and want to access this image using Net Use to access the cd-rom drive but cannot find the right syntax. When I attempt to get to the cd-rom is tells me the drive is not there. The exact message is:

Invalid Drive specification

The disk that contains the image is not bootable, so I cannot boot off of it. I can get into Ghost, but the cd-rom is not an available selection.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and thanks.

2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,251

To access a share on a network using net use

Net use z: (space)\\machinename\share name

So go to the server and set the CD rom as shared, call it "ghost" verify the share is set by clicking start/run and typing \\machinnename\ghost, Enter

This should show the cd contents.

Now boot with the Floppy and type at the prompt

net use z: (space)\\machinnename\ghost

When I put (space) I mean put a space, if you dont the command will be invalid.

Or you could just copy the contents of the CDRom to a share that you can reach via the bootdisk
    I hope this answers the question and I havent misunderstood

Regards

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.