Use "heat transfer" compound between P4 & heat sink?

By macx
Sep 17, 2005
  1. It's been awhile since I installed my last CPU -

    I just bought a P4. The instructions for mounting
    the heat sink (& fan) do not refer to using any
    type of (I can't think of the word) that white
    compound I used last time to give good thermal
    conductivity from the cpu to the heat sink.

    Is that stuff not used any more?

    If it is, what do I call it and where would I get some?

  2. vnf4ultra

    vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

    If you got a retail version cpu, that comes with the heatsink/fan, it likely has a "thermal pad" built in, so it wouldn't need thermal interface material. So if you got a little square of something on the bottom of the heatsink, that's all you need, but if not, just a bare heatsink, put some thermal material on it. IIRC, my retail p4 had a little square that looked like a piece of aluminum stuck on the heatsink, which is a thermal pad.
  3. macx

    macx TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 712

    Thank you!

    I do think I remember seeing a little square pad
    in the package.

    Technology marches on and I got temporarily
    left behind. :eek:
  4. RealBlackStuff

    RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add New Comment

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...