Use this program with Windows Firewall. Its all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJay420

Ive been up all night searching for a firewall that works with Vista and is compatible with Avast (that I love so much lol). I found a program called Vista Firewall Control by Sphinx Software and it does exactly what the Windows Firewall is missing from its software, it blocks the outgoing connections and shows the blocked inbound connections. The best part about it is it's freeware. It's a really simple tool and very user friendly. I recommend this to 32 and 64bit Vista users who are using Avast on Vista PC's and find it hard to look for a third-party firewall that's compatible with both. Just enhance the firewall you already have...

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html?from=VistaFirewallControl

P.S. - There is also an XP version of this freeware as well.

Yea and I had installed it but the configuring didnt go so well for me and I'm not sure why. I'll just stick with this because its a really lightweight program (about 800kb) and its easy to use. It's more of a much needed add-on for the already installed Windows Firewall that i've put down and even disabled so many times. Thanx for the heads up though...

Comodo works just fine for us, and it is free. Kerio is great, as well, but not free.
We don't find using add-ons to Windows Firewall are wise choices, eventually creating more problems than they solve, while giving you a false sense of security.

Well I'll give it another shot and I may need help with configuring it... If that'll make you guys happy. Lol jp

The vista firewall isn't bad from what I have seen tested on it. I know a lot of people will immediately disable it and install 3rd party, probably because XP's firewall was such a joke.

From my research its seems like a very good firewall. Only thing is its outgoing settings weren't listed or shown in anyway a user could monitor or even set them, but I read on another site that microsoft stated that it did monitor incoming and outgoing connections.

go start> Control panel> administrative tool> windows firewall with advanced security

Then you can change those setting and much more

The basic interface looks like XP all over but the advanced interface is decent

Thanx I found what you were talking about but before I settle on Windows Firewall I'm gonna give Comodo one more try and start a thread on it to get help.

Microsoft is not recognized for adequate monitoring of outgoing settings. Their incoming settings are OK. Just nothing terrific about Microsoft Firewall... but the are definitely getting better at it.

We don't find using add-ons to Windows Firewall are wise choices, eventually creating more problems than they solve, while giving you a false sense of security.

I said the program was "like" an add-on, meaning similar to one. Its just a program that lets you control the firewalls ingoing and outgoing activity a LOT better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back