Used To Run Vista, Installed XP. Can't Dual-Boot. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright heres the deal. I used to run vista ultimate 64-bit on my desktop. i made a partition and installed xp on it. now when i boot i get an error that says i have no boot.ini file (yes i know what that file is) and it automatically boots my xp. now i was wondering how i could make it so i can choose which to boot. im PRETTY sure it has to do with editing the boot.ini file but i have NO idea what to put in it to make it realize i have to OS'. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :]

I don't believe you can dual boot Vista with XP's boot loader (boot.ini). However, you should be able to dual boot it by using the Windows Vista boot loader. You'll need to setup Vista's boot loader again.,

I glanced over this and it looks like the information you are looking for. You can run the bcdedit command from the command prompt by booting up from your Vista install disc.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

Note You can run the commands in the following procedure by using the command prompt. If you run these commands in Windows Vista, run them at a command prompt that has elevated user rights. To do this, click Start, click Accessories, right-click the command-prompt shortcut, and then click Run as Administrator.

1. Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Windows Vista MBR and the boot code that transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager program. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt: Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.

Note The boot folder for this step is on the DVD drive.
2. Use Bcdedit.exe to manually create an entry in the BCD Boot.ini file for the earlier version of the Windows operating system. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt.

Note In these commands, Drive is the drive where Windows Vista is installed.
* Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Description for earlier Windows version"

Note In this command, Description for earlier Windows version can be any text that you want. For example, Description for earlier Windows version can be "Windows XP" or "Windows Server 2003".
* Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=x:

Note In this command, x: is the drive letter for the active partition.
* Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
* Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast
3. Restart the computer.

i tried doing this but when i launch the bootsect.exe it says its not a valid windows32 program. I forgot to mention my XP is 32-bit and my partitioned vista is 64 bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back