User accounts problem in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormBringer

A friend recently bought a new machine, it has XP home edition.
He has two user accounts, one for himself and one for his wife. They both show up correctly at the logon and log in fine, the problem is that in the "documents and settings" folder, his account isn't there, actually it is but it is named "userxp" rather than the name it should be. It is also listed as "userxp" in the system settings. It is listed correctly in the user accounts settings. His wife's account is correct in every way.

I assume this has something to do with his changing the name of the default profile set up by the company who built the computer.

He would like these names to all match one another like they are supposed to. It doesn't seem to be causing any conflicts but it annoys him and It would annoy me as well if I had to deal with it. Can anyone here help me out. I've been looking in the Registry for a key to change but have yet to find one.

I have that on my computer also... It can b changed but it is highly dangerous and not reccomended... The easiest way would b 2 backup all ur data and create a new account... then delete the old account.

If u change the registry entry for the documents and settings path, it can create problems with a lot of software and also windows. First of all it would need 2 create a new directory for your documents and settings, then u would need 2 transfer all of your old documents and settings 2 the new directory. After all of this is done, other software will also need 2 b changed because they save their settings etc in the old directory.

Overall it is much quicker to just create a new account and eventually they will get their settings back 2 the way they like it. The software will automatically save their settings etc in the correct directory.

Before you create the new account, change the name of the old account to some random name. Otherwise u cannot create an account with the same name.

Edit: Please check the date of threads before posting.

to be clear:
you can change the Login name (as seen from the login prompt) easily,
HOWEVER, that does not change the directory for that users profile under
\Docs & Settings.
eg: for the user Fideo, the login is Fido and the profile is in
\Docs & Settings\Fideo
change the login name to Spike and the profile associated is still \Fideo!
Yes, I hate it to, but as mentioned, it is a massive regedit to fix and a low probability that you will get it right!

Create the New Login ID as a unique name to avoid a collision on the profile name!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back