User info on a Win2k hard drive or: how do you find out where a computer came from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luna M

We have a client (we think?) whose computer has gotten lost in the shop for about a month. Upon discovering it buried under a mess of boxes in the corner, we've been trying to determine who it belongs to and what they wanted us to do with it. But there's no name, no work ticket, and the computer is not in our Commit software.

The computer does not boot (we suspect the motherboard has failed), so I've pulled the computer's hard drive to see if I could glean any clue as to who owned it from its files. All that is on the hard drive is what looks to be a clean installation of Win2k, and a user name "Mike Higgens." We have no record of any person by that name in our files. Short of looking up and calling every Mike Higgens in the phone book, are there other places I might look on this hard drive to determine where this computer came from?

Hi
Any PST files for Outlook, any thing in the Documents folder, any DBX files for outlook express, try any restore program on the drive and see if anything turns up.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back