User profile service fails

By abbasi
Nov 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys,

I have Windows 7 and 3 drives on my HDD. The second drive is D:\, and there are some files in that. I decided to install 8.1 Enterprise so I installed it in dual boot manner beside 7 and in D:\ drive which as I said was not empty and when installing 8.1, I didn't format the D:\. I installed 8.1 successfully in D:\ and it was working fine.
    One time which I came up with 7, I thought I should arrange the 8.1 folders in D: to be separated from the other non-8.1 folders, so I created a new folder named it "Windows 8.1" and cut all 8.1 folders and pasted them into that new folder. Now my D: drive was arranged. When I restart the PC, I selected the 8.1 to start with, but it didn't come up like before and instead, it shows now a blue screen (not the blue screen of death!) and the time is shown in left-down corner of it. When I click the screen this message appears:
    The User Profile Service service Failed the sign-in.
    User Profile can not be loaded.

I know two things:
    1- The problem is to do with that cutting and pasting the 8.1 folders to be arranged. And
    2- If I reinstall the 8.1, the problem will be solved (but if I don't do that cutting and pasting again!)

Is there any simpler way to solve the issue and have the two OSs with each other?
  2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,295   +44

I doubt it. Moving the Win 8.1 files you want to boot into has probably disconnected them from the dual-boot process which is stored in a different place - often even on a different drive, and maybe not even a drive you can actually see. For instance, Win 7 usually has a small, hidden system drive which has no drive letter, and the startup files are in there in a database called BCD. When you installed Win 8.1 you probably modified that database.

Short of reinstalling Win 8.1, you could try this http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm although it could be slightly different for Win 8.1, or even a lot different if your PC has a protected Bios, UEFI booting etc described here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn168167.aspx

Essentially, you must realise that Windows since WinXP has got so complicated with so many different inter-connected bits and pieces (much of which you can't actually see for security reasons), that blithely moving things around - as you might have got away with a few years ago - is now absolutely certain to screw things up good and proper.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.