Users report intermittent glitch with the iPhone 7's new Lightning EarPods, Apple working on a fix

Jos

Staff

Apple’s decision to remove the headphone port was already seen as controversial and now detractors have some additional ammo to fire at the company. Apparently numerous users have been experiencing problems with the Lightning EarPods on the new iPhones, where the volume control dongle stops working, so you can't adjust the volume, use Siri, or answer calls.

The glitch seems to happen randomly and is fixed by unplugging and re-plugging until the next time it happens. According to early reports, audio continues to play, you just can’t control playback. Apple has acknowledged the problem and promised a software update.

Apple removed the standard headphone jack in the iPhone 7 in favor of wireless headphones or headphones that plug into the Lightning port. The company defended its decision, saying the move made space for an advanced Taptic Engine, bigger battery and better cameras. It also helped waterproofing the iPhone design by eliminating a key point of liquid ingress.

Although the new iPhone 7 and 7 Plus will certainly sell in huge numbers, things haven't been trouble-free since going on sale last week. Apart from the headphone issue, Some owners have reported hearing 'hissing' sounds from the device during heavy usage, although we’ll reserve judgement on that until we get some hands on time with the device.

On other other side of the equation, the phone has also been praised for reportedly having the most color accurate display, at least according to the experts over at DisplayMate.

Permalink to story.

I'm shocked lol. In all seriousness, even without an Iphone, I would like to know how well their wireless headphone solution works compared to my LG tone pro's. Just out of curiosity.

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of bluetooth headphones. even expensive ones are buggy.

I'll just note that your comment is mostly unrelated to the issue described in this article...but anyways.

My program at school required me to have a mac/iphone (app development and the like).

Just got the iPhone 7, and I can attest to the hissing sound...however it is only noticeable if I bring the back of the phone to my ear.

What if the battery inside an AirPod explodes one day, burning someone's face or ear. Apple lawyers should get ready for this.

I'll second:
I'll just note that your comment is mostly unrelated to the issue described in this article...but anyways.

I have had bluetooth headsets for the past 6-7 years, since the old motorola ones. Not buggy at all.
What if the battery inside an AirPod explodes one day, burning someone's face or ear. Apple lawyers should get ready for this.
What if your post makes my computer explode?! I'm so suing you...

There have been bluetooth headphones available for a long time. What makes it suddenly an issue now? Because Samsung botched a battery?

Last time I bought Blu-tooth headphones, it was a peace of junk, with constant hissing and overly low sound quality.

Blu-tooth is a crappy standard for quality sound systems. I don't know what Apple did to improve it, but evidently it wasn't enough.

Last time I bought Blu-tooth headphones, it was a peace of junk, with constant hissing and overly low sound quality.

Blu-tooth is a crappy standard for quality sound systems. I don't know what Apple did to improve it, but evidently it wasn't enough.
I got a couple for $25 to try out, after all it had an average of 4.5 stars from over 1500 users I was not disappointed, no hissing, good sound quality. You may have just bought crap.

There's a place for bluetooth headphones, and a place for a headphone jack. I have some great bluetooth headphones, and some better wired ones. So what if it's not my preference? I'll wont buy an iPhone, not just because it doesnt have a headphone jack.

Not to mention, that sometimes when I am trying to sell things at work. I have to test them, this often requires a 3.5mm connection to said audio device/speakers.

No reason to get all defensive over something that doesnt effect you. Just buy something else, and the market will show Apple whether or not the world is ready to move away from the headphone jack. IF they prove it's bug free, no more audio quality loss over wireless, and long battery life for the wireless headphones and such, then maybe I'll decide to go along with it.

We'll see wont we?

and where do you plug your bluetooth headphones? at least read the article or go to troll elsewhere because this article is about Lightning EarPods.

Help. The air pod is stuck in my ear. I can't get it out and I can't hear. :(

Doctor saying I'm gonna need surgery. Anyone know how to take legal action this terribly dangerous product?

Back