TechSpot

Uses for an Old Laptop

By ddot
Nov 20, 2007
  1. Do you guys have any good ideas/links about uses for a old laptop. I have a old toshiba with a 20g hard drive running windows 98. like to make it useful or donate after clearing the HD.

-File server?
    -Internet Gateway?

I am but a novice and would like some help. Thanks

2. samjohnson

samjohnson TS Rookie Posts: 320

I would say keep it, and tinker with it. That is if you like to tinker with that kind of stuff. :D

3. GameJunkie72792

GameJunkie72792 TS Maniac Posts: 357

It seems to be screaming Linux box, go find a flavor you might like :D perhaps Slackware

4. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,086

Go for Gentoo instead.

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

You can do pretty much anything with a machine that is above 486, provided that you don't need it to be lightning fast :)

Only the sky is the limit - don't let us hold your imagination down. Figure out the purpose and we will tell you how to do it (or if it's doable at all).

BTW, more accurate system specs would help. What CPU, how much RAM, what peripherals?

6. Teranius

Teranius TS Rookie Posts: 138

ive heard its fun to spin on old laptops :)

well, i actually saw it, but its beside the point if you want it to be useful.

its fun though!

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

printer server. Number cruncher for distributed computing projects... general office use...

8. GameJunkie72792

GameJunkie72792 TS Maniac Posts: 357

whatever you do dont throw it away, burn it, or smash it to pieces with a dead animal. These all could harm the environment. ;)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.