Using 2 browsers,any advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquidlen

I have long read that many of you guy's recommending the use of alternate browsers.
I have delayed doing so simply because I just do not surf much.
However I am ready . I have done a bunch of reading and have decided on Mozilla and I see there is a new version.
I will not be deleting IE as I will use it for Windows Update.
So is there any advice/warnings you guys can offer concerning the installation/configuration of having both browsers.
Thanks

You shouldn't have any problems, I have been using 2 browsers for many years now. You will find MANY more options in Firefox than in IE, but you don't have to use them all. Just play around and use what you like the most.

I have had no problems, just go to Tools >> Internet Optoins in IE and then click on the Programs tab and select accordingly :)

When you say Mozilla are you talking about firefox? Assuming you are I think you will be more happy with your decision to use it after you have installed some extentions for it. Extentions are easy to install, I just don't recommend installing more than 1 or 2 at a time (browser close and reopen is necessary to install extentions).
You can get extentions here: https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox

And while you're at it, get rid of OE as well.
Install Mozilla's Thunderbird. It will import all your addresses and messages from OE.
Much faster and definitely safer.
I am still using Pegasus, but am currently evaluating T'bird, and think I'll make the switch soon.

Have been using both Thunderbird and Firefox here since early beta releases and they co-exist without any problems. After a while you'll forget all about the MS gear.

I use Firefox as my primary browser (and IE for windows update the rare page I surf that doesn't like firefox).

I want to switch to Thunderbird Email but I never delete email have a massive amount of email in Outlook Express. I have no troubles importing in to thunderbird but if I try and move folders around it causes a weird duplication of creating a new folder of same name, and the old one and not copy all the messags, and some of the duplicate folders I can't delete.

I'm starting to hear that Thunderbird RC1 is about out / out and have not tested my issue with it, I want to switch to Thunderbird just can't yet.

I definitely install the AdBlock extension for firefox, as you block ads on web site, it will eventually throw a macromedia flash ad that the default blocker can’t block, with ad block you can get 95% of the flash ads.

I want thank all of you for the input.
I have been playing with it all afternoon,and you are right.
It was quick,easy to install and configure.Even added a couple of Extensions.As I am on the cautious side,I will take it slow with add on's ,however I am pleased.
Real' dumping the OE is probably a while down the road.As it is so integrated into my wife and my business it would cause untold horrors as my wife is technologically challenged and change is an absolute crime.
I am sure you married guys understand.
P.S. Mozilla/Firefox , rocks.I feel much more secure already!
BTW. Do I get anything ,eg. Cigar ,Trip to Bermuda,etc. for becoming a "Techspot Booster" today?

Real' dumping the OE is probably a while down the road.As it is so integrated into my wife and my business it would cause untold horrors as my wife is technologically challenged and change is an absolute crime.
I am sure you married guys understand.
P.S. Mozilla/Firefox , rocks.I feel much more secure already!
BTW. Do I get anything ,eg. Cigar ,Trip to Bermuda,etc. for becoming a "Techspot Booster" today?[/QUOTE]

I had heard that Gates was a control freak but integrated into your wife....
:p

patio. :cool:

I'm thinking of installing Firefox also. I assume that during the installation process, Firefox asks you to import favorites, etc from IE. When they are imported, do they still show up in IE? Also, can you set the browsers so that there is no default one? If so, how?

As usual, thanks for your sage advice!

Yes, FF imports IE-favorites, and leaves the originals where they were.

In both browsers, when asked to check if this is the default browser, answer "no".
Small problem: a program that calls up/needs a browser may pick the "wrong" one.
Advice: Set FF as default, and in IE go to Tools/Internet Options/Programs tab and un-check the "check if IE is the default browser".

I feel so lucky there are no microsoft updates in Linux which make me use internet explorer :p
Firefox all the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back