TechSpot

using 2 hard drives

By drjsampson
May 9, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi. I am fairly new at this computer stuff but am catching on for an older fellow. I have a Pent III, with 1 20 GB hard drive that was in the system when I got it second handed. It it running Win XP pro sp2. The drive is formated to Fat32. I have since put in a 2nd hard drive (20 GB) that also has Win XP pro sp2 but is formatted to NTFS. It was used on another computer with some other applications put has a lot more free space. I am trying to use one system for storing big files or programs while using the other drive to access them. Is this possible and if so how would I go about doing it.

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

This is what I would do.

1. I`d convert the Fat32 filesystem on your old hard drive to the NTFS file system. Instructions HERE.

2. Once that`s done, format the new hard drive, also using the NTFS file system. From windows, open my computer and click on the new hard drive, select format and make sure it`s set to format in the NTFS file system, click start.

You can now use the second hard drive for storage of whatever you want.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. drjsampson

drjsampson TS Rookie Topic Starter

Still need help

I do not want to lose the program files that are preloaded on the Fat32 20GB hard drive. However I would like to free up some program space by transferring some of the programs from this drive to the 2nd 20GB hard drive which is NTFS format. Can I do this.

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Converting fat32 to ntfs shouldn`t cause you to lose any data. However, as with any major undertaking, it`s a good idea to backup any important data.

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.