TechSpot

Using a Wide PcI Card in a Regular PCI Slot.

By lakers0505
Jan 23, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi i want too add a dvi port to my computer, only way too do tat for me is too use a pci port,unfortunately for me all of the graphic cards with dvi ports use wide pci ports, when i only have a REGULAR PCI PORT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI... Radeon 7000 64MB DDR PCI Video Card - Retail

I read somewhere that i can use a wide pci card in a regular pci slot, as long as it physically fit. If anyone has done something like this, ide appreciate some assitance, thanks. All i want is the dvi port, so losing speed by putting the card in a regular pci spot wont matter too me. Thanks
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Uhm.. What do you mean by "wide". That link you posted shows a perfectly normal PCI card.

Or do you mean that you want a "low profile" or "half height" card? There are plenty of those on Newegg. Don't be fooled by the pictures - usually the cards come with a full-height backplate installed and a separate low-profile backplate you have to attach yourself.
  3. lakers0505

lakers0505 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yea a friend helped me figure out it was a regular card, im new too these things, thanks for the respones though.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.