Using compatible cartridges in HP C-5180 printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

phkhgh

Well, I've searched this site and to the end of the web. The problem is my HP photosmart C-5180 printer won't recognize some new "compatible" cartridges (HP 02).

AFTER I bought them, THEN the seller tells me that "after they researched it, other customers are reporting problems w/ compatible carts & C-5100 / 6100 series printers". Other retailers have now also told me the same.

I'm looking for a workaround. My problem is that the printer won't recognize the new cart, NOT that it says it's empty. Error message: "cartridge(s) is missing or damaged." Obviously, HP has rigged this printer & the HP 02 cart so generic carts won't work.:dead:

I went through all the steps that the inkseller suggested to "trick" the printer into recognizing the compatible carts. HA! But, just like everything else, there must be a hack for this.

Suggestions or links would be appreciated.

tough break. The only solution I can offer is to buy an ink refill kit with the original HP carts. Obviously they are using ID chips in their ink carts to prevent 3rd party ink carts from being used. Very sneaky and also a violation of some trade laws.

Are you saying buy a refill kit and use it w/ the OEM HP 02 carts? Offhand, I'm not familiar w/ any that are designed, or even suggested that could be used w/ these carts - are you?

One problem w/ that, even if could find right ink, is I've read (several times) that once refilled, the "Ink Level Indicator" w/ these carts doesn't work - show still empty (your mileage may vary). There may / may not be a work around for that, but you can't see through the cartridges, and I've read attempting to print w/ empty carts can damage the printer. Nice of them to do it that way.:mad:

Any thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back