Using DDR and DDR2 Memories simultaneously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphmex

Hello, i have an ASUS P5VDC-MX (socket 775) Motherboard, and it has 2 slots for DDR memories and 2 slots for DDR2 memories, the manual says that i should not use DDR and DDR2 memories simultaneously, but i want to know if there is a real risk on doing this? does anyone uses DDR and DDR2 memories simultaneously?

I have now two 512 DDR´s, and want to put an additional 1 GB DDR2.

Thanks a lot!!!

Pentium D 3.4 Ghz.
1 GB RAM 2x512 DDR.
80 GB IDE HD.
ATI Radeon X1300 512 MB.

Ralphmex.

Ralphmex said:
... if there is a real risk on doing this?

The risk is it simply won't work.
If I remember correctly, all motherboards that support both DDR and DDR2 will only work when using one or the other -- never both.
Asus emphasizes the warning not to use both types of memory simultaneously because it simply will not work. It is never recommended to mix different speeds of memory for any given system, so the possibility of mixing two generations of DDR-RAM (and for it to work) would be highly unlikely.

The good thing about these types of motherboards is they provide support for multiple types of memory modules. The bad thing is you only have two DIMM slots to use at any given time, and must remove other older memory modules before installing new, (maybe larger) ones.

If you want a memory upgrade, chances are you'll have to remove your current 2x512MB of DDR memory. After that, I would recommend getting 2x1GB DDR2 modules, a superb upgrade from what you currently have (both in terms of speed and amount).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back