TechSpot

Using my moherboard to the end

By S a l a d i n
Nov 21, 2002
  1. Hello.
    I'm thinking of buying the best and fastest components for my motherboard that it can optimally use.
    I've got the Elite K7S5A motherboard with it's original BIOS and drivers which is working fine. I have also a Duron 1000 and 256 of a nonname DDR memory
    But if I would wan't to upgrade the motherboard to the max - that's if I would update all the drivers, BIOS, use the fastest memory and CPU available het the motherboard could take, what components would I need?
    I could really use the info.
    Thanks

2. Supra

Supra TS Enthusiast Posts: 190

On ECS's website it says the Elite K7S5A can handle any AMD Athlon processor all the way up to the XP 2600+ with the latest BIOS update and up to 1Gb of DDR. It would have to be 2 sticks of DDR266 at 512Mb a stick because it only has two slots.
    Elite K7S5A

3. Tweakster

Tweakster TS Enthusiast Posts: 199

LOL I blew 1 of those up on thursday last week.

Nah it ant funny lol.

4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

I would go with the 2100 XP chip the 2200 runs hot and the 2600 does not offer enough of a performance increase over the 2100 to justify the additional cost of the chip. as far as memory goes stick with brand name stuff like samsung, kingston or corsair.

5. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

I have a K7S5A too, and it runs fine. Never blew up ;) I'd go 2400 (thats 2Ghz). Much, Much cheeper than the 2600, and only .17 Ghz(170Mhz) slower. You couldnt notice a diffrence between 2Ghz and 2.17Ghz anyways, so there clearly isnt any point in a 2600. No point in a gig of memory, your pc will never use over 512MBs... Or maybe, maybe in Photoshop. I wouldnt say its worth the value. Get some Kingston DDR, its cheep. Good Luck with your "Bad @$$" PC:D

6. Eric Legge

Eric Legge TS Rookie Posts: 132

The info you got here looks good, but you might pick up some additional info if you post the question to the Gigabyte newsgroups - alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte and alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte.

Eric,

http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.