using my pc as a router. help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to use my windows 2000 or server 2000sp3
as a router by installing mutaple nic cards for use as a local network with a broad band internet connection without buying a router

Perhaps I'm not able to see the purpose here, but NIC cards are about $15-20 each, routers start around $30

Not much of a savings there, and the router is DEFINITELY worth the extra cash.

Surely your time is worth more than $15? I know mine is...

It will take much longer to configure a "server computer" with ungainly masses of cables and multiple NICs peering out through the back of your computer. And while you sit, scratching your head, millions of others will be going about their lives, letting their routers do all of the work.

$32 Router - $10 rebate + $5 shipping = Why waste your time?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=33-156-001&depa=1

And most people who use their computers as routers use a HUB top connect computers together, which is just about as much as a router these days.

:)

If you plan on connecting computers together through a single computer without a hub or router, you'll probably need cross over cables (extra expense!) and good working knowledge of how to network.

It's not worth it! :)

windows 2000 server has routing and remote access which allows you to configure a number of routing scenarios. There's support for NAT, open shortest path first and RIP as well. Host based routing isn't the best (a cisco router always will win) but its good to a point.

No kidding. I'd just buy a cheap router. It's definately the way to go and not nearly as much of a headache as setting up a PC.

I run three PC's and a Tivo Series 2 off of an old $30 SMC router and it's worked great for three years now on both DSL, at my old address, and now Cable. Even has a built in printer port so I can share my laser printer between all the PC's.

I don't see why you shouldn't get a router. Most routers can act as a DSL modem and at the same time be a router itself. Get a router, it will probably help prevent headches resulting from device conflicts. Router is easy to install, no crossover cables required and helps save your time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back