Using router/switch as just a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

I just bought a netgear Cable/DSL router with an 8 port switch built in. I am currently still at school, so there is no need for the router, but I want to use the hardware as a switch. I am confused as to how to set this up.

The router I have is a Netgear RO318.

I know very little about setting up networks, but I assumed it would be the same as just switching out the hub. Boy was I wrong. I switched them out and it doesn't work like I thought it would. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks all.

Actually, at this very second I am trying to figure out that exact same thing! I will definately help you out if and when i get it figured out.

Grrr...my demeanor has declined greatly since my last post. I cannot figure out a way to enable the internet share, it worked once on my computer when I disabled the DHCP but when i brought it to my dad's computer it did not work! I'm leaving it be for now, although it knows I am pissed off at it! :evil: :evil:

I know the feeling, I messed around with mine for about an hour. I should have been studying for a test I have tomorrow, but you know how it is once you get a new toy, it's gotta be working properly before you can do anything else. Well this thing got the better of me. Oh well, lets just hope someone knows the answer.

Well I did figure it out finally. I am not sure how or why it works, but I plugged my ethernet out of the wall into port 1 and this computer into port 2. There is no button to check for uplink, I guess it just knows.

Also I had to renew my ip from campus to get it to work, but all is well and I am happy I didn't waste all this money for this switch and I couldn't use it.

Yes thank you, I am so relieved it actually worth while. Now I just need to change all the computers over. Right now I have only this laptop on it. Oh well just need to be not lazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back