Using "run" to bring up infected site[s]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

I have the full address of the site infected by a Trojan dropper virus, if I enter the entire address at "run" in the start menu, when I click "go", will it just bring up the file so I can hopefully delete it, or will it cause more problems?

When I say "hopefully delete it", what are the chances of this happening, in other words, might it say either; "unable to open file" or "unable to delete"

I sincerely hope that this a viable way to get rid of this damned virus, but I get the feeling that this way is too easy, I've tried nearly every other way, but if booting into safe mode is the sure way, I'll get my techno in to do that, I would, as I said before, probably mess that up.

Maurice.

Before you do anything untoward, can you please show us that "address" here, whatever you mean by that?
Don't experiment there! Run means exactly that: RUN whatever you type in.

Star Wars fan?
Klaatu Barada Nikto!
Insult the boss. Drain your bank account. Get busy with your best friend's wife. It just doesn't matter. They've come back and soon the Mothership will collect us all for processing.

Oi!!, RBS, who are you supposed to be quoting, not me for sure!, you'll have the whole site thinking that's my philosphy, & no, no, no, my signature is from the all-time classic SF fillum, "The Day The Earth Stood Still", made in the 50's or 60's, do you know the one with the large silver robot, & "Klatuu Barada Nikto" was the phrase spoken by Michael Rennie to close the robot down before he destroys Earth.

What makes me a "sad" person is that I had it letter perfect, before I went to a film website, & what makes it even worse, while I was there, I d/loaded a still, showing the robot with Rennie, to use as a background!!

Right, to business, here is the whole of THAT address, as you asked;-

"C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\4UUTHAOW\Smiley Central Initial Setup 1.0.0.8 [1] exe"

the heading on the notice was "Virus Trojan Horse Dropper Funweb 'A' is found in this file"

Now, are you sitting comfortably? because you might like to see [or not!] my new thread;" Oh no, My Doom now" in Misc Software & Utilities

Maurice.

Rightclick that file, select delete, confirm, hey Presto.

PS: Why don't you empty your Temporary Internet files, as we have recommended you a number of times? That should have solved it ages ago!

I didn't go into safe mode, I'll leave that to someone if necessary, I just went to "search"& said look at local disk, for any files including hidden files that include the words; "Temporary Internet Files" within the last month, it came up with three;

C:\Documents and Settings\default user\local settings

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\local settings

C:\Windows\system32\config\system profile\local settings

Tried again, adding words / figures from the infected file, nothing found.
Tried different dates, different areas, even tried "My Documents", no luck.
Surely something should have shown up, or were one of the three mentioned above anything to do with it, & if so, would deleting them, get rid of something vital to the running of my system?
On my other post, Mictlantecuti said something strange, he thought that "whoever said that I had got the virus may have been mistaken", or words to that effect, please see that post, & my reply.

Goodnight, Maurice

Maurice...

We've repeatedly mentioned in other threads, reboot into safe mode, and then have IE clear your temporary internet files.

This should remove the files.

Yes, Goalie, I know you have, & I have said that if I do that, I'll get someone to do it for me, in case I b*lls it up, but I'm still dithering, I still might go for the free formatting offered by the builder of my PC, thanks anyway.

No offense meant, but all you need to do is press the F8 at startup, select the first option from the menu that is offered you, and after booting the screen shows that you are in "safe mode".
Then rightclick "Internet Explorer" on your desktop, select "properties", click on the button "Delete files", in the new window click on "Delete all offline content", click on OK and you are done.
Reboot and your PC will go back to "normal".
You cannot and will not delete/upset anything on your system, other than get rid of that pesky file.
Believe me and the others!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back