Using SATA & PATA HDDs in 1 system: have to use SATA for C:\?

By Dreamworker
Jul 6, 2005
  1. So I'm still dealing with this problem.... I've got my system running XPpro on a 20GB PATA with an extra 20GB PATA for storage, had it this way for a long time now.

Now after I purchase a WD 250GB SATA drive to throw in there for additional storage, it doesn't show up at all in Windows Explorer or Drive Manager. BUT it does show up fine in the BIOS. I've already formated to NTFS and partitioned it using XPs DOS setup CD. My system is loaded with SP2 and all the SATA drivers so there should be no reason for the SATA not to show up in Explorer.

So my question is.... In a system that uses both SATA and PATA hard drives, does the operating system have to run off the SATA in order for all drives to be present???
  2. tdeg

tdeg TS Rookie Posts: 119

Don't think so, usually it is the opposite.

Does the drive show up in the Logical Disk Manager?

It may just need a signature written to it.

(you can get to LDM by right clicking my computer -> Manage. It will be down the left side.)
  3. Dreamworker

Dreamworker TS Rookie Topic Starter

It doesn't show up in Disk Manager for me to give assign it a drive letter.
  4. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

start>control panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk management

you'll get three panes in the window, one all along the left side and the rest divided between two main panes. find your sata drive in the lower pane and right-click it. select 'change drive letters and paths' and assign it a drive letter. you need not worry about any warnings that pop up, as you have no data on your new sata drives.

if you can't see it under the disk management, look at 'disk drives' in the device manager window and see if your sata drives are listed there.
  5. Dreamworker

Dreamworker TS Rookie Topic Starter does NOT show up ANYWHERE in Windows... not in Disk Management... not in Device Manager.... Nowhere...
  6. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

then windows doesn't recognize it at all. you'll want to be double checking that it is in fact visible in the bios and that all of your chipset and drive controller drivers are upgraded to the latest versions. and it wouldn't hurt to update that bios either, unless you have a fairly recent version.
  7. Dreamworker

Dreamworker TS Rookie Topic Starter

It it still present in BIOS. What will updating the BIOS do to help this?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.