TechSpot

Using "server-class" HD in desktop machine

By cigarman
Apr 21, 2008
  1. Is there anything wrong with using a server-class hard drive in a regular desktop machine? Are server-class drives made to run more on a continuous basis as opposed to being shutdown and booted up like a desktop drive? These drives are supposed to be made better or something, so I don't mind paying a little more for something that will last a longer.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

hum; check the technology. Desktops use IDE/SATA devices while major servers use SCSI.

I've always preferred SCSI, but then I grew up with them :)

3. cigarman

cigarman TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 33

To be more specific, Western Digital makes something called "enterprise-class" hard drives along with "desktop," "value" and othervariations. I'm not talking about SCSI.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

fine -- I can't read your mind from here :)

The news on Western Digital is poor quality and many/most of us are moving away
    from that vendor.

caveat emptor.

5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +107

Jobeard don't forget about just to name a few HP Vectra and, DELL Precision Workstations they also used SCSI as did Servers back in the day. The newer workstations are really fast now than prior workstations. The OP should just get a Server they're cheap down for small one. Don't have to buy a server blade or go crazy about it. Or better yet a Workstation.

6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Just get a $300 300GB Velociraptor.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.